Mill City Museum

704 South 2nd St.
Mpls, MN 55401
Directions

Hours

Tues-Sat, 10 am -5 pm
Sunday, Noon -5 pm
Monday, Closed
 
 
 

Admission

  • $12 adults
  • $10 seniors (65+) and college students w/ID
  • $6 children ages 5-17
  • Free for children age 4
  • Free for MNHS members
  • Veterans and active military receive free admission with ID on Veterans Day
  • Museums on Us: One free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch card holders the first full weekend of every month. Bring your card and picture ID.

 

Contact

612-341-7555

Connect with Mill City Museum

Mill City Museum on Facebook Mill City Museum on Flicker

2017 Nov 21

 

Timeline

1680 Father Louis Hennepin visits and names the Falls of St. Anthony.

1805 Lieutenant Zebulan Pike negotiates a treaty with the Dakota, who cede territory that includes St. Anthony Falls.

1820-23 Colonel Josiah Snelling oversees construction of Fort Snelling and the first mills at the falls.

1820-57 The falls area is a tourist attraction, drawing visitors from the eastern United States and Europe.

1838 Franklin Steele claims land on east side of falls.

1848-87 "Sawdust Town:" Minneapolis leads the nation in saw milling.

1854-55 St. Anthony incorporated; Congressman Robert Smith buys land on west side of falls.

1856 Minneapolis Mill Company and St. Anthony Falls Water Power Company incorporated.

1856-58 Companies construct a dam to funnel water to each side of the river.

1858 Minnesota becomes a state.

1867 Minneapolis incorporated.

1869 Tunnel collapse on east side threatens falls.

1870-84 The falls are restored and protected by an apron, dam and dike.

1870s "New process" revolutionizes the flour milling industry.

1872 St. Anthony and Minneapolis merge into one city.

1878 Washburn A mill explodes, killing 18 workers and destroying much of the west side mill district.

1880-1930 "Mill City:" Minneapolis leads the nation in flour production.

1882 The nation's first hydroelectric plant begins operating on Upton Island.

1883 Stone Arch Bridge opens to rail travel.

1897 The Lower Dam hydroelectric plant is built and leased to the Twin City Rapid Transit Company.

1904 The last sawmill located at the falls shuts down.

1920 Saw milling above the falls draws to a close.

1928 Fire damages south side of the Washburn A Mill.

1928 Washburn Crosby Company merges with others to form General Mills.

1930-50 Many flour mills are dismantled; bridges and railroad trestles are cleared from the district.

1950-56 Lock and dam construction opens the upper river to navigation.

1957 Northern States Power becomes the sole licensee of waterpower at the falls.

1959-63 Second lock and dam constructed.

1965 Washburn A mill closes.

1971 St. Anthony Falls Historic District including the James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge, Pillsbury A Mill and the Washburn A Mill are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1983 Washburn A Mill is designated a National Historic Landmark.

1991 Abandoned Washburn A Mill gutted by fire.

1994 Stone Arch Bridge opens to pedestrian traffic.  

1996 St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail opens.

2001 Mill Ruins Park opens.

2003 Mill City Museum opens.